Thursday, June 20, 2024

This ‘Social Media’ for Social Workers Helps Them Raise Funds, Find Work, Volunteer & More

Growing up in Kerala’s Thrissur district, Neenu Rathin was the definition of a stereotypical “good girl”. A bright and dedicated student, what she lacked, in her own words, was  “passion”. 

The search for her passion in life took her to several places before she found it in helping others. Currently, she is the founder of Social Town, a non-profit organisation that enables and empowers changemakers and NGOs with connections, opportunities and knowledge fostering social development.

“Think of it as a social media platform for changemakers and aspiring social workers. The organisation helps you connect with other changemakers and helps you find the right resources. It also helps you raise funds and get volunteers for your initiative,” Neenu shares in a conversation with The Better India. 

Here is her journey from looking for her passion to becoming a social entrepreneur who has helped over 6,000 stakeholders including changemakers, NGOs and corporates, bring social change by raising funds, securing the right connections and reaching the people who need help. 

Choosing the road less taken

Raised in Kerala, Neenu was not sure what she wanted to do, so she decided to go for a professional degree. “At that time, I was not sure what to take up in college, so I went ahead with engineering. I even went on to get a masters in the same field,” she says. 

Once Neenu was among her peers who were passionate about engineering, she realised that she was a misfit in the group. 

“I realised how I was not here because of my passion but just for a degree. The crisis of not knowing what I wanted to do with my life kicked in,” she says. 

“I even got placed at an MNC in the third year of my college,” she adds. 

“But it was a period of recession, and the company postponed my joining date. So, I started my career as a lecturer in a small engineering college. When I began working there, I quickly realised that the students were extremely passionate about engineering. These were some of the brightest minds in Kerala, with great scores and a keen interest in technology,” she says. 

“However, I felt inadequate because I lacked professional experience beyond my degree,” she recalls. 

Neenu Rathin, Founder of Social Town.
Neenu Rathin, Founder of Social Town.

It became clear to her that teaching wasn’t her true passion.

She says, “I decided that continuing in that job wasn’t the right path for me. Like in any other household, my parents suggested that I get married since I had completed my education. I considered their traditional option and agreed.”

After marriage, she spent some more years looking for a direction. In 2013, she started volunteering with the Art Of Living Foundation and it changed her life for good. 

Finding passion in social work

“They have both spiritual and social impact programmes, and I was particularly interested in the latter. I proposed and organised several programmes for them, one of which was my first volunteering project,” she shares. 

Neenu suggested a programme which became the foundation of most of her work to come. “My plan was to visit 10 schools, plant five trees at each, and educate the students on the importance of tree planting and environmental conservation. I intended to take up about 45 minutes to an hour of their time, focusing on environmental awareness,” she says. 

The Foundation agreed to her proposal since it required no additional resources. 

“My child was very small at the time, so 10 schools seemed manageable. The response from these schools was overwhelmingly positive, and soon more requests started pouring in. Within three months, I managed to cover 30 schools, which was my maximum capacity.” 

This successful project became her motivation to undertake more social impact initiatives.

Neenu also started to grow her circle and started volunteering and designing more programmes for different organisations. 

“In 2018, I had to move to Kochi. When I arrived, I did not have any contacts in social work so I joined some volunteer groups. These groups were very active in helping with blood donations and other minor requests, gathering support for various causes. That same year, Kerala experienced one of the most devastating floods in its history. I came in touch with a very prominent person via social media who was conducting relief efforts,” she recalls. 

The collective efforts of thousands of people helped provide relief to many in the affected areas.

Neenu has helped over 5000 stakeholders including changemakers, NGOs and social entrepreneurs.
Neenu has helped over 5000 stakeholders including changemakers, NGOs and social entrepreneurs.

“This experience made me realise the power of collective action. Back in 2013, I had already wanted to create a platform for people like me who were passionate about social change. Although I was working with the Art of Living Foundation, I had limited connections with other social impact organisations,” she says.

“No one in my family had been involved in social work, so this was my first introduction to such projects,” she adds. 

During the 2019 floods also, Neenu actively participated in the rehabilitation of people affected by the disaster, particularly focusing on tribal settlements in Attapadi, Nilambur, and Wayanad.

“All the motivation that came from helping people in need kept me going,” she says.

In 2020, when the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Neenu realised that it was important for her to work on her idea. 

“In my heart, it was more like a project for me and I had never thought of becoming a social entrepreneur. After it was incubated at NSRCEL (Nadathur S. Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning), Indian Institute of Management, Bengaluru, I realised this initiative had much more potential,” she says.

Foundation for Social Town

The non-profit organisation was started with 500 people and has engaged more than 6,000 people in social work. 

“We initially used WhatsApp groups and emails for interactions. We used the platforms to dissipate important information about policy changes, incubation programmes, and more with the members of the group,” he says.

The organisation does not charge any fee for membership and is open for anyone who wants to bring social change. “It is more like a community of people with a similar school of thought who want to bring some kind of change in the society,” she explains. 

Explaining how the organisation works, she says, “For instance, if there is a changemaker in Kerala who wants to help a dying school and wants to give them computer systems but is unsure of which companies to approach and how to raise the funds, then that is where Social Town steps in. We try to connect them with the right people and help them raise resources.”

Akber Ali, a social worker who works with the tribals of Wayanad, points out the importance of initiatives like Social Town. “I have worked with the organisation many times now. First when there was a flood back in 2019, then during a landslide and then again during the COVID-19 pandemic. When you work in remote tribal areas, it becomes very difficult for us to reach out to people in cities and get help.”

He continues, “Neenu, during the COVID-19 pandemic, was the first person I contacted to help us. In the hills, it was very difficult to get basic hand sanitisers, she was the one who raised the money, collected the required amenities, and sent it to us. Once, it was known to other people that we needed help, many came to our rescue but it was the initial first step to connect with the right people that the organisation helped us with.”

If you want to start your social work journey, Social Town can help!
If you want to start your social work journey, Social Town can help!

Additionally, she also helps volunteers connect with the right organisations to kickstart their social work journey.   

Reflecting on her social work journey, she says, “No matter who you are — a student, homemaker, doctor, or architect — you can create a significant impact on society. It starts with the desire to make a difference and take the first step. Mother Teresa said that we might feel like just a drop in the ocean, but without that drop, the ocean would be less.” 

She adds, “From my experience as a volunteer to starting impactful projects, I’ve seen how small actions can create big waves. Volunteer, work together, and be that crucial drop in the ocean—because together, we can create endless possibilities.”

If you are a changemaker looking for support or want to volunteer, you can reach out to Neenu here

(Edited by Padmashree Pande; All Pictures Credit: Social Town)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top