Thursday, August 29, 2024

Delhi Police Constable Overcame Poverty To Help Over 180 Students in Need Secure Govt Jobs

Every day, about 30 children from underprivileged backgrounds in Sector 23 of Sonipat, Haryana, wake up with big dreams. These children are either orphans or from low-income backgrounds who once pulled rickshaws or worked as painters or waiters from a young age.

However, these children now aspire to serve the country by becoming government officials, all thanks to constable Amit Lathia.

Roughly 12 years back, Amit took it upon himself to adopt and care for underprivileged children, providing them with not only free guidance but also essential resources such as accommodation and food.

For this purpose, he claims to dedicate almost all of his monthly earnings towards the well being of the children. He only retains a minimal amount for personal expenses, showcasing his unwavering dedication to their cause.

He also rented four flats of nearly 1,400 sq ft each, and equipped with chairs, tables, beds, and a library for the children, ensuring they have access to educational resources and a safe place to live.

Amit mentors students to secure jobs in the Army, police, and in various government departments.
Amit mentors students to secure jobs in the Army, police, and various government departments.

Through his efforts and guidance, 185 of 350 children have already secured government jobs after clearing competitive exams like SSC CGL (Staff Selection Commission – Combined Graduate Level Examination), HSSC (Haryana Staff Selection Commission), and Chandigarh Police IT Constable Recruitment.

“I hand hold them till the point they become self-reliant. Reason why I devoted myself to the future of these children is because I see myself in them,” he shares.

We sat down with Amit to learn more about his unwavering devotion to the cause.

A new beginning

Hailing from an impoverished background himself, Amit’s journey was not without challenges. His father was a farmer and his elder brother worked as a scrap dealer. Amit was performing well in sports when he had to quit his dreams when his father suffered from a cardiac arrest.

Upon returning to his village, he started to prepare for police service. “I wanted to join a coaching centre but the fee for the course was Rs 3,000. I didn’t have money so I started selling tea at a small shop. I worked there for three months and collected the amount to afford the fee. It was humble of the teacher to waive off my fee when he came to know about my financial situation,” he shares.

In 2010, Amit secured a job as a constable in Delhi Police. Currently, he is posted in Rohini district on the mobile crime duty.

Amit prepares students for competitive exams like SSC CGL, Haryana Staff Selection Commission, and more.
Amit prepares students for competitive exams like SSC CGL, Haryana Staff Selection Commission, and more.

“While performing my duty as a constable, I would see a lot of children engaged in odd jobs. Their conditions would remind me of my old days. I wanted to do something for them so that they come out of that circle and secure a brighter future,” he adds.

Amit faced opposition from his family when he decided to devote himself entirely to the children’s welfare, ultimately leading to him being kicked out of his home. Despite this, his determination remained unwavering as he continued to work tirelessly towards his goal.

“Coming from an underprivileged background, I knew the challenges faced by the children. I wondered if I could secure a government job, then why couldn’t these kids?” he says.

In 2012, Amit started his first batch with 10 students, out of them six got government jobs. “This not only transformed their lives but also boosted my confidence as an educator. I started juggling between my job and teaching these kids. I also started devoting most of my salary to manage their expenses,” he adds.

A lifelong commitment to serving others

As of now, Amit has mentored 350 students to secure jobs in the Army, police, and Group B and C officers in various departments of the Indian government. For this, he has received constant support from his wife, a few fellow officers and old students.

Amit has been recognised for his work and continues to be an inspiration for hundreds of underprivileged children.
Amit has been recognised for his work and continues to be an inspiration for hundreds of underprivileged children.

His wife’s unwavering support and dedication to the cause have been instrumental in the success of his mission. “During my wedding, I informed my wife Manju about my purpose. She also stepped in and vowed to help me in the cause. Today, Manju is a mathematics professor in a government college in Sonipat. She takes care of all of the household expenses and often takes time off to teach the children. I am so grateful to her,” he says.

Besides Amit, about five fellow officers and former students spare time to teach the students. Sonu, who works with the Delhi police and teaches English and General Knowledge to students, says, “I have been working with Amit sir for the past five years. I have witnessed his struggles. He is a selfless and dedicated individual. I am glad to be part of his cause. I also dedicate 2-3 days in a week to teach students when Amit sir is on duty.”

Amit emphasises the importance of holistic development and encourages children to explore various paths to success. “While some children secure government jobs, some choose to return to their villages to do farming after unsuccessful attempts. The aim is to make them self-reliant and prevent them from engaging in criminal activities in greed of money,” he says.

Through his perseverance and selfless dedication, Amit continues to be an inspiration for hundreds of underprivileged children. On his commitment to providing a better future for the next generation, he says, “I have received multiple awards for this work. But I am not doing this work for a puraskar (award) but for purushartha (purpose of human being).”

“Currently, I am able to take in only 30 children every year due to financial constraints but there are so many children who require the support. I wish that more people extend their support for the future of these children. We don’t seek financial support but people can donate stationery, notebooks, old books, and dry ration,” he adds.

Edited by Padmashree Pande. All photo: Amit Lathia.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top